- Ryan Joseph Kopyar, set to launch life changing online program "Reconnect to Your Greatness"
- Grayhawk Capital Receives U.S. Small Business Administration Investment Company of the Year Award
- Global Changemakers Celebrate Black Women In Film At Cannes Film Festival In Response To Gross Underrepresentation In Competition, over 75-years
The organizing campaign for these workers was challenging, given the fact they work for a subcontractor, not directly for RNDC. Early in the campaign, several workers supporting the union organizing drive were fired by Penske in a clear case of retaliation for Union activity. Teamsters Local 174 filed charges with the National Labor Relations Board on behalf of the workers, and Penske was found guilty of violating federal labor law. The workers received back wages due to Penske's illegal actions. This blatant violation of the law helped energize the workers, culminating in a victory giving the workers the right to be represented by Local 174. The results were certified yesterday.
More on Washingtoner
- Volatus Group Beyond Visual Line of Site waiver approved for Censys Sentaero UAS Operations and Training at the Pendleton UAS Range
- Tacoma: Solid Waste Management Receives Recycler of the Year Award
- Spokane: 'Taking Leadership Skills Back To the Neighborhoods'
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Reconstruction Devices Market to Surpass US$ 19,145 Million by 2030 - Coherent Market Insights
- Spokane: City Closures Planned For Memorial Day
Heading the successful organizing drive was Teamsters Local 174 Organizing Director Meaza Ogbe, Local 174 Business Agent Abraham Taylor, and Columbia Distributing Shop Steward BJ Hallagin. They worked tirelessly for months meeting workers around the clock – whatever it took to make sure these workers all understood the value of being Union members.
"When we first started this organizing drive, we had a lot of challenges as the company pushed back really hard and people were scared of losing their jobs," said Aipopo Vaifale, a Penske worker and another leader of the unionization drive. "But we gave it another push, and we pulled through. We really let the workers take the lead with no pressure, and sure enough they were all in. I'm looking forward to showing everyone they made the right choice once we get a contract."
"Workers in this country are organizing and finding their voices on the job in record numbers, and we expect that trend to continue," says Teamsters Local 174 Secretary Treasurer Rick Hicks. "This victory builds on our strong foundation in the beverage industry, and we look forward to getting a strong contract that values the labor our new members put in every day to make Penske successful."
More on Washingtoner
- Average American Spends $78 On Jewelry Annually, Finds New CWC Jewelry Market Study
- Tanium Unveils Free Comprehensive Risk Assessment
- NanoString Launches Integrated Informatics to Facilitate Spatial Biology Research Using Next Generation Sequencing
- Pacific Northwest Rapper King Raymond Drops Hot New Track "DTS On 6's"
- Mindworks Hypnosis & NLP Offers "A Chance to Trance" Hypnosis Event on June 25th
Founded in 1909, Teamsters Local 174 represents 8,600 working men and women in Seattle and the surrounding areas. "Like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TeamstersLocal174.
Jamie Fleming, (425) 281-0166
SOURCE Teamsters Local 174
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Washingtoner
- The world's most anticipated blockchain game "Rise of Elves", is going to launch its Closed Beta in May!
- Noted storyteller and technologist Angelica McKinley joins the board of NMHA
- West Shore Construction Named #1 Hurricane Fabric Dealer in the Country
- Exterro Enhances Digital Forensic and Incident Response Automation with Major Upgrades to FTK® Connect
- Leafly to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences
- Dungeon Forward Inks Multi Collection Deal with Nickelodeon and Paramount Consumer Products
- Edifecs' Leaders to Speak at WEDI 2022 Spring Virtual Conference
- Energy-Transition Champion, Vladimir Novak, Joins Ultra Safe Nuclear as Chief Commercial Officer
- M.King Media's 2nd Special Report "Black America: We Have A Problem" Is Now Streaming
- Spokane: Free Riverfront Park Spring and Summer Activities 2022
- Virtual Workshop on How to Do Business With the City of Tacoma on June 1
- City of Spokane to Host Citywide Traffic Calming Workshops
- Tacoma: City of Destiny Awards Back Live In 2022
- Blockchain Startup Aimed at Financial Inclusion Secures 25 Million Dollar Capital Commitment
- HR Tech Awards Recognizes Valuable Contributors to Hiring, Retention, and More
- The Martini Shot Launches A Sci-Fi Martial Arts and Fashion Franchise
- 1040 Abroad: Live tax-free if you earn less than $112,000
- Alaska Airlines names 30-year industry veteran new senior vice president of airport operations
- CoreStack and Ingram Micro Cloud Come Together to Deliver Next-Gen FinOps and Cloud Governance
- Implement The Exploration Of Charity In The Virtual World Concept Till The Very End